Friday, 13 March 2009

Books! Books! Books!

I love books! My relationship with books run so deep that I only really discovered the wonders of TV at the ripe old age of 22 or 23 when I settled in London and could no longer afford to buy books!

Of course, I later discovered the wonderful public libraries in London, but by then it was too late to change my exposure to The Box. Nevertheless, if I had to choose between TV and books, books would still be my number one choice.

Today I made yet another wonderful discovery..... a library!!! The Pestalozzi library is located about ½ minutes walk from our apartment. I have been meaning to check it out but never quite got around to it until today.

From the outside, it looked like a small little library which could not possibly offer much. I was pleased to find that there is a further section in the basement, including a whole section of English paperbacks. There is also a wide range of CDs and DVDs (including TV series) available to borrow. I was quite impressed. Granted, they are not the latest release books and DVDs but I really could not ask for more!

I also learned that there are 15 branches and of course membership entitles one to borrow items from all the branches. To add icing to the cake, I even got a reduction in the membership fee due to my status as an unemployed! The fee was only CHF 25 for the year (normal price is CHF 45... still a good price!), and one can borrow 25 items at a time. What a bargain!

No comments:

Post a Comment