I had invited 7 guests for the CNY reunion dinner at our apartment last Sunday, and my next task was to cook up a proper, decent meal for 9!
Groceries and ingredients were purchased on Saturday, and I then spent all of Sunday cooking and preparing food; from the moment I got out of bed at 9am until we sat down to eat at 6pm! What an accomplishment!
The highlight of the afternoon was the fish. I’d purchased a beautiful, fat Dorade Royal (Sea Bream) from the Migros. As my German is not quite up to scratch, and this was the first time I’d purchased a whole fish from the supermarket counter, I did not realise that the fish was intact. Thankfully, my other half pointed this out to me (else my steamed fish dish would have been a disaster!!). I then proceeded to gut and clean the fish, for the first time in my life!!! As I’d never done this before, I enlisted the expert help of Professor Google and friends. It really was not as bad I expected and I certainly would not mind doing this again. It is a far more pleasant experience than gutting and cleaning a whole chicken!
The final menu for this lavish meal was as follows:
Apero:
- Indonesian Perkedel (courtesy of
Main meal:
- Pork with prosperity vegetable “fatt choy” (courtesy of Puchong)
- Indonesian chicken curry (courtesy of
- Steamed sea bream Chinese style with ginger and spring onions
- Prawns with garlic, chilli and coriander
- Egg tofu with minced meat and Chinese mushrooms
- “Richi Special” with diced pork – Thai stir-fry dish similar to Pad Krapow
- Malaysian beef rending
- Braised duck (purchased from Lian Hua asian grocery store)
- Roast meats – “char siew” and “siew yuk” (purchased and frozen from my recent trip to
- Kangkung a.k.a. Morning Glory or Water Spinach, stir-fried with garlic and chilli
- Pak Choy stir-fried with garlic and oyster sauce
- Steamed jasmine rice
Dessert:
- Rosewater cheesecake with fresh strawberry glaze (courtesy of
- Rambutans (courtesy of
-
http://spicyzwergli.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/chinese-new-year-eve-reunion-dinner/
No comments:
Post a Comment